Tax Prep Checklist

Personal information for you, your spouse and your dependents

  • Social Security cards / Numbers (new clients only).
  • State Photo IDs (If updated)
  • Birth dates (new clients only)
  • Tax returns for the previous one to three years (new clients only)

Education & childcare payments

  • Form 1098-T for tuition and other educational expenses.
  • Account history from school showing transactions during the year.
  • Scholarship or fellowship records.
  • Form 1098-E for student loan interest.
  • Amount of any alimony paid, as well as your ex-spouse’s full name and Social Security number (generally only required for pre-2019 divorces).
  • Child care payment records and provider’s tax ID number (SSN or EIN).

Employee information

  • All W-2 forms for your earnings and taxation information.

Self-employment information

  • Forms 1099-NEC (was MISC) for self-employment income.
  • Schedule K-1 for income from a partnership or S-corporation.
  • Income records to verify amounts not reported on Forms 1099-MISC.
  • If using accounting software, the Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet & General Ledger reports
  • Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) to claim depreciation.

Business-use-of-vehicle information

  • Number of miles driven for business, for commuting, and for all other purposes.
  • Records of parking fees and tolls paid.

Rental property income

  • Income and expense records.
  • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) to claim depreciation.
  • 1099-K or other reporting forms if you rented through Airbnb.

Retirement income and contributions

  • 1099-R for pension/IRA/annuity income.
  • SSA-1099 for Social Security income.
  • RRB-1099 for Railroad Retirement Board income.
  • Form 5498 for IRA contributions.
  • Traditional IRA basis for previously taxed contribution amounts.

Savings and investment

  • 1099-INT, 1099-OID and 1099-DIV for interest and dividend income.
  • 1099-B for income from stock sales.
  • 1099-S for income from property sales.
  • Acquisition dates and records of cost or other basis on sold property, if not reported on Form 1099-B.

Other income

  • 1099-G for unemployment and state tax refund income.
  • W-2G or other records showing gambling income, as well as expense records.
  • Amount of any alimony received.
  • 1099-SA for health savings account distributions.
  • 1099-LTC for long-term care benefits distributions.
  • Jury duty records.
  • Records of hobby income and expenses.
  • Records of financial prizes and awards.
  • Other Forms 1099-MISC or 1099.

Affordable Care Act

  • Form 1095-A for Marketplace (Exchange) enrollments.
  • Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C for if given.

Other deductions and credits

  • Classroom expense receipts for educators of grades K-12.
  • Form 5498-SA for HSA contributions.
  • Form 5498-QA for ABLE account contributions.
  • Form 5498-ESA for Coverdell ESA contribution.
  • Form 1098 or other mortgage interest statements.
  • Records of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding) or of state and local sales tax paid.
  • Real estate and personal property tax records.
  • Records of cash and non-cash charitable donations, or political contributions.
  • Records of health insurance premiums and medical bills (if total medical expenses exceed 7.5% of income).
  • Records of mileage driven for charitable or medical purposes.
  • Receipts for energy-saving home improvements.
  • Estimated tax payment records.